A couple from church recently had their first baby: a beautiful little red-headed girl. 🙂 This gave me a chance to cook something for them for supper, which also meant I got to have a little fun. I saw this lovely casserole on Pinterest and thought it would be just the right dish to send to our friends. Even better, it made a big casserole, so I divided into two pans and kept half for me to eat on this weekend. Yay! A new baby, helping friends, a new recipe, and even some left for me! Counting my blessings! (What can I say: I miss my “goulashes.”)
Anyway, this particular casserole has lots of fresh veggies and cheese-stuffed tortellini, smothered in a creamy cheese sauce. Take my word for it, it’s yummy! And get this: No cream of mushroom soup. I think that’s pretty cool. It was a first for me, anyway.
The original recipe can be found here: http://www.bhg.com/recipe/tortellini-vegetable-bake/
- 1 (19 ounce) packages refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot (1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red or green sweet pepper (1 small)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- Cook tortellini according to package directions, adding sugar snap peas and carrot for the last 1 minute of cooking; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet.
- In a screw-top jar combine broth, flour, oregano,garlic salt, and black pepper. Cover and shake until smooth. Add to the same skillet; add milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cream cheese; cook and stir until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
- Stir tortellini mixture, mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet pepper, chicken, and mozzarella cheese into cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon into an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake at 350-degrees, covered, about 30 minutes or until heated through.