While scoping out Pinterest recently, I ran across this little taco recipe. As you know, My Honey is a little particular about his food, but when I read this recipe, I figured he would be just fine with it, which he was. It’s a very simple, meat, cheese, and tortilla shell recipe; it’s like a taco in lasagna form. You can find the orginal recipe here: http://www.thecountrycook.net/2012/05/taco-bake.html.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tbsp. (or one packet) taco seasoning – You can find a recipe for homemade seasoning here: https://crystalpoe.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/homemade-taco-seasoning/.
- 1 cup water (or whatever is called for on the seasoning packet)
- 3 large tortillas (8-inch size) – I bought the burrito size and cut them to fit my quiche pan. (Homemade tortillas are here: https://crystalpoe.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/taco-empanadas-and-flour-tortillas/.)
- 1/2 cup Salsa Con Queso (cheese dip in a jar found in the chip aisle)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Brown and crumble ground beef.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add taco seasoning and water. Mix to coat all the beef with seasoning, and allow water to boil off, stirring occassionally.
- Turn off heat, and add in salsa con queso.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, or coat lightly with oil.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with a flour tortilla.
- Spread about 1/3 of taco meat on top of tortilla.
- Sprinkle about 1/3 of the cheese on top of meat.
- Continue until you are done with all the layers: tortilla, meat, cheese, tortilla, meat, cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edges are slightly browned.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Slice and serve.
Topping and/or side ideas:
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- chopped lettuce
- your favorite salad dressing
- black olives
- refried beans
- Mexican rice