Yesterday, I made chocolate chip scones, and I took them to a family reunion, where every single one of them valiantly gave their lives for the greater good of the reunion attendees. That left me, a chocolate-craving pregnant woman, without a chocolate-y baked good in the house. Therefore, this morning, I decided I wanted a chocolate muffin with a dose of chocolate chips mixed in for good measure. This led me to my ever-helpful Better Homes and Gardens Quick Breads Cook Book. The book doesn’t actually have a chocolate, chocolate chip muffin recipe, but it does have a chocolate chip recipe that I altered to get these lovely, delicious, chocolate-y muffins. (I have just started my second muffin, so I can truthfully declare them “Yummy!”)
- 1 3/4 cups all- purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp. cocoa
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cooking oil or melted shortening
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cocoa.
- Make a well in the center.
- Combine egg, milk, and oil.
- Add liquid ingredients all at once into flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes.
- Dust the tops of muffins with powdered sugar.
- Makes 10-12 muffins.