After seeing it on TV, the internet, and even the occassional cook book, I decided that tonight, my husband and I would have French Bread pizza for supper. My Honey wants to have pizza, and I want to try this idea. Seems like a win-win, a very simple win-win. I like it when things are simple. Now, since I’m just trying out this idea for the first time, I just bought a loaf of French bread at the grocery store. (Besides, it’s hard to beat bread for a buck – seriously.) If it turns out to be something that we like a lot, I will probably try making the bread next time. I’ve found a couple of recipes on the internet that look fairly simple, but that just might be another post. 😀
- 1 loaf of French bread, halved down the middle
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 4 tbsp. spreadable butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- toppings of your choice
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 2-4 cups mozzarella cheese
- Slice the bread in half, long-ways.
- Spread about 2 tbsp. of butter on each side of bread.
- Sprinkle about 1 tbsp. of garic powder and Italian seasoning on each side of bread.
- Place on a large cookie sheet or pizza pan, and broil until bread is toasted and butter is melted (just a couple of minutes – watch closely!).
- In a saucepan combine tomato sauce, tomato paste, and the remaining half a tbsp. of garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Heat and mix until sauce, seasonings, and paste are well-combined.
- Spread sauce on toasted bread. Only what is necessary or to your taste. You do not want to make the bread soggy.
- Place toppings on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle each side of bread with about 1 tbsp. of parmesan cheese.
- Cover each side of bread with 1-2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Place in broiler again just long enough to melt the cheese. (Just a couple of minutes.)